- Certificate II in Transport Security Protection (International) – 13/11/2023 – 22/11/2023 – 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Certificate II in Transport Security Protection (International)
AVI20118 Certificate II in Transport Security Protection (International)
The skies are alive again with high employment opportunities for Aviation Security Officers.
All new screeners in the aviation and maritime sectors must hold this qualification (Course code AVI20118) from 16th January 2022.
For existing screeners, your skills and experience will be recognised.
Existing screeners do not need to complete this course if you:
- were employed or engaged as a screener at any time in the 12 months before 16 June 2021, and
- have not ceased engagement or employment as a screening officer for more than 24 months.
More information is available on the Department of Home Affairs website.
This qualification provides individuals with general and specialist skills to operate effectively in a broad range of transport security screening roles.
This qualification includes the units of competency required by Transport Security Screening Officers to perform transport security screening functions including, controlling access to security sensitive areas, undertaking physical searches, and identifying and handling weapons, explosives and prohibited items. A Transport Security Screening Officer must also apply effective communication skills to work in a broad range of transport security protection roles.
Transport Security screening personnel working at this level will apply knowledge and skills to demonstrate autonomy and limited judgement in structured and stable contexts within narrow parameters.
On successful completion of our airport security course, you will be awarded a AVI20118 Certificate II in Transport Security Protection (International) qualification.
Transport Security Screening Officer roles for this stream include:
- International Airport Screening Officer
This will allow you to work at places like airports, port facilities, court houses, cruise ship terminals and large scale screening facilities.
IMPORTANT! Students enrolling into the Certificate II in Transport Security Protection must apply for:
- An ASIC Job Ready Background Check; or
- An MSIC Job Ready Background Check
Individuals undertaking this qualification must have passed a valid background check prior to accessing security-restricted resources associated with AVIG0001 Work effectively in a transport security environment. This can be obtained by submitting an application to an ASIC/MSIC Issuing Body. Some employers may be Issuing Bodies or may have existing relationships with one.
Alternatively, ASSET is a registered agent for Veritas and can assist applicants with applying for an ASIC or MSIC Job Ready Background Check. If you are ready to proceed with your check now please follow these steps:
- Go to asset.asic.net.au and submit an online application for a JobReady ASIC
- It should not prompt you to pay, just complete the online application form
- Once you complete the application you will get an email with a PDF copy of the application
- Call or email us to schedule your appointment to conduct your ID check (currently North Lakes only) or go to Australia Post with your original ID documents to do the ID verification – this is where you pay, note AusPost charge an extra admin fee.
- Once the application is processed (typically 8 – 16 days), you will get a JobReady certificate emailed to them, this is what you need to provide for enrolment into to the course.
- Contact us to advise us of the outcome of your background check.
If you do not yet have an ASIC, you will also be required to undertake a 2 hour online session prior to starting your face to face workshop.
You will need access to a computer with an internet connection to complete the online component of this course.
Before enrolling with Asset College, please ensure you are fully informed by reading our Student Handbook.
Please be advised we are unable to train students on a student visa. You must find a CRICOS registered training provider.
The Certificate II in Transport Security Protection (International) includes the following units of competency.
- AVIO0015 Undertake physical search of cargo and articles
- AVIO0009 Identify and handle weapons, explosives and prohibited items
- AVIG0001 Work effectively in a transport security industry
- AVIO0007 Control access to and exit from a security sensitive area
- AVI00008 Establish and maintain a sterile sensitive area
International Airport Screening Officer Units
- AVIO0011 Manage disruptive behaviour and unlawful interference within a transport security environment
- AVIO0004 Conduct frisk search of persons
- AVIO0005 Conduct screening using explosive trace detection
- AVIO0012 Manage the flow of items for screening by X-ray screening equipment
- AVIO0014 Screen articles by interpreting X-ray images
- AVIO0013 Operate body scanner
- AVIO0010 Identify powders, liquids, aerosols and gels (PLAGs)
- AVIO0006 Conduct vehicle search for access to security sensitive areas
- AVIF0015 Apply awareness of dangerous goods and hazardous substances in the transport security environment
- CPPSEC3121 Control persons using empty hand techniques
- CPPSEC3128 Conduct security screening using walk-through metal detection equipment
- CPPSEC3130 Conduct security screening using hand-held metal detectors
If you would also like to be awarded with a Domestic or Maritime Screening Officer certificate, a $100 certificate issuing fee per qualification is required.
If you would also like to be awarded a Cargo Screening Officer qualification, you will need to complete one extra unit. The cost to complete this extra unit will be $200. Please advise us at the time of enrolment if you would like to complete this unit.
Online Learning + 8 days in class
The face to face component of the airport security course will run for 8 days in-class 8.30am – 5.00pm.
The e-learning modules of this course must be completed prior to your face to face workshop.
Asset College are able to provide on-site training for this qualification anywhere in Australia, combined with recognition of prior learning for existing personnel where applicable.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Asset College are able to assist existing screeners currently working for an employer to attain this qualification through recognition of prior learning.
$1750 plus ASIC
NSW Smart and Skilled Funding – NSW Only
This training is subsidised by the NSW Government. Training for eligible participants is fee-free. You will need to pay for your own Job Ready ASIC Background Check.
Find out more and submit your application here.
Certificate 3 Guarantee Funded Co-Contribution Fees – QLD Only
JobReady ASIC or MSIC Background Check is $200.20 (inc GST). This fee is non-refundable once you have completed your ID check.
Note, the ASIC or MSIC is not issued until an employer provides evidence of an operational need. At this time, there will be an additional card issuing fee payable by either the applicant or their employer.
The fee cannot be included in payment plans and is payable upon completion of your application and proceeding to ID check for JobReady ASIC or JobReady MSIC.
- Be sent an invoice for full payment
- Government funded – NSW and QLD only
- zipMoney payment plan
Certificate 3 Guarantee Funded Co-Contribution Fees – Queensland Only
Eligible students in Queensland may receive government subsidised training under the Certificate 3 Guarantee program.
You can view more information about eligibility requirements here.
Please note the co-contribution fee may change after a review of your circumstances prior to enrolment in the qualification but will not exceed the above stated fees.
Please be advised that you will no longer be eligible for a government subsidised training place under the Certificate 3 Guarantee program once you complete this qualification.
You can view the co-contribution fee breakdown per unit here.
You can review the Certificate 3 Guarantee Fact Sheet produced by the Department of Employment, Training and Small Business on their website.
Please read our Course Fees and Refund policy here.
Assessment Re-Submission Fees
Should you be deemed not competent after 2 attempts at a unit of competency, an assessment re-submission fee of $50 will apply per assessment.
Should you wish to cancel your course or your enrolment is cancelled by us due to no progress and you then wish to re-enrol, a re-enrolment fee of 25% of the standard course fee will apply if requested within 3 months of initial cancellation. If re-enrolment is requested within 4 – 12 months of initial cancellation, 50% of the standard course fee will apply.
After completing the airport security course, you may choose to extend your expertise in security, risk or leadership through one of the following qualifications:
Our Training Partners
This course is currently not available through our training partners.
The instructor was an absolutely amazing instructor. He had a wealth of knowledge and experience and delivered lectures with detail and a little humour which makes for a perfect learning environment..Michael SlorachFormer student
Engaging. Everyone is part of the learning experience. I received support from everyone. The visual learning was easy to understand and acknowledge. Through their reassurance my motivation held strong throughout the course.Gail CarterFormer student