Employability Skills Unpacked
What skills do employers want you to have and how do you work on improving them?
Below is a list of skills that employers look for in potential employees and tips on improving yours!
Written and oral communication
- Write short articles about your interests to improve your writing skills
- Write selection criteria for job applications
- Practice with family or friends your interview skills
- Attend industry expos and events
- Join industry associations
- Read and discuss issues in your industry with like-minded people on social media groups
- Work on your ability to give constructive feedback
- Join a sporting team or volunteer for an organisation
- Leadership skills
- Attend seminars/workshops on becoming a good leader
- Networking – observe and speak with other influential leaders to find out how they developed their skills
- Utilise social media like Linkedin
- Planning and organising skills
- Start utilising a calendar or diary
- Write down your goals short term and long term and steps to achieving them
- Technology skills
- Learn a new computer program
- Create a presentation with Powerpoint
- Start taking videos of interesting things and create a Youtube Channel
Studying a nationally recognised qualification can also improve your employability skills. Government funding may be available under the Certificate 3 Guarantee program for selected Certificate II or III qualifications for eligible participants.