CPP20218 Certificate II in Security Operations
This course is for new entrants to the security industry looking to obtain a Security Licence. It is the first course you must complete. Asset College’s security guard course was developed with industry, for industry and delivered by trainers with decades of experience in the industry!
As a Security Officer, you will be responsible for:
- maintaining safety and security by patrolling
- protecting or guarding property while unarmed
- screening entry of persons or items
- monitoring the behaviour of others
- removing persons from premises
Who should do this course?
- Those looking for a career change
- Those looking for an industry with growing demand and lots of work
- Those looking to supplement their existing income
- Transitioning defence force members, police officers or correctional officers
Join us at a FREE Career Information session to let more about your options.
Online Fridays at 10am. Register here!
Not able to make a scheduled online career information session? Register your details to gain access to our pre-recorded career information session here.
On successful competition of this course, you will be awarded a Certificate II in Security Operations (CPP20218) qualification.
First Aid is also included in this course.
This course provides a pathway to further learning and work in various security roles and settings including, but not limited to:
- armed guarding
- close protection operations
- control room operations
- guard dog handling.
Information about licensing requirements for Tasmania can be found here.
Licensing in this state continue to accept units from the old CPP20212 packages until 30 September 2020. After this date only units from the new Cert II CPP20218 will be accepted.
For entry to this course you must:
- Be eligible to apply for a Security Providers Licence in your state or territory:
- Be 18 years or older (You can enrol and complete your training at the age of 17 and 9 months but cannot apply for your licence until you are 18).
- Have not been convicted of a disqualifying offence in the past 10 years
- Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold an appropriate Visa to work in Australia
Please be advised we are unable to train students on a student visa. You must find a CRICOS registered training provider.
You will need access to a computer with an internet connection to complete the online component of this course.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ
Language, Literacy, Numeracy and Digital Literacy (LLND) requirements for Security Training
Working in the Security Industry requires a high level of English Language and Literacy skills. The course requires all students to be able to read, write and speak clearly in English.
During the course, students will be required to complete closed-book exams and other assessments where the trainer cannot help. If you cannot read, write, and speak English well then you will NOT pass the course.
If you are not confident with reading, writing, and speaking English then you should not enrol into this course. Asset College will conduct LLN testing at the start of the course and will not allow students to continue if they do not meet the minimum requirements.
Security Officers also require basic digital literacy (computer skills) to perform their role. This could include writing incident reports, responding to emails, using online rostering apps or other online tasks.
During the course, students will be required to complete some activities using computers, laptops, or other devices. While the trainer can provide some assistance, it is expected that students have some basic computer skills before commencing the course.
You must be physically capable of responding to first aid emergency scenarios, including providing CPR to a manikin on the floor. Anyone in a wheelchair or with other disabilities that may impact their participation in these activities should contact us to discuss their individual circumstances before enrolling.
The Certificate II in Security Operations course includes a total of 14 units.
This qualification is based on the licensing requirements to obtain a Security Providers Licence in all states and territories and therefore units within this course cannot be changed.
- CPPSEC2101 Apply effective communication skills to maintain security
- CPPSEC2102 Apply legal and procedural requirements to work effectively within a security team
- CPPSEC2103 Apply WHS, emergency response and evacuation procedures to maintain security
- CPPSEC2104 Apply risk assessment to select and carry out response to security risk situations
- CPPSEC2105 Provide quality services to a range of security clients
- CPPSEC2106 Protect self and others using basic defensive techniques
- CPPSEC2107 Patrol premises to monitor property and maintain security
- CPPSEC2108 Screen people, personal effects and items to maintain security
- CPPSEC2109 Monitor and control access and exit of persons and vehicles from premises
- CPPSEC2110 Monitor and control individual and crowd behaviour to maintain security
- CPPSEC2111 Apply security procedures to manage intoxicated persons
- CPPSEC2112 Apply security procedures to remove persons from premises
- CPPSEC2113 Escort and protect persons and valuables
- HLTAID011 Provide first aid
You will attend 8 full days of face to face training 8.30am – 5.00pm.
The course schedule differs depending on the location. Some course schedules will include a requirement to attend on a Saturday. Please make sure that you check the dates of your course provided to you in your enrolment emails. You must attend all days.
You will need to complete online learning modules before the start of your course.
First aid training is delivered on day 6 of this course. Before attending your practical workshop for first aid, you will be required to complete an online assessment which will be sent to you on enrolment.
Completion of the online assessment prior to attending your face to face workshop for first aid is mandatory. Should you not complete your online assessment, you will not be permitted entry to the face to face course. You will need to rebook for this day and this will incur a rebooking fee of $50.
You have 3 months to complete this course.
We can also deliver training to groups in regional locations right across the country.
- Be sent an invoice for full payment
- zipMoney payment plan
Please read our Course Fees and Refund policy here.
Assessment Re-Submission Fees
Should you be deemed not competent after 2 attempts at a unit of competency, an assessment re-submission fee of $50 will apply per assessment.
Should you wish to cancel your course or your enrolment is cancelled by us due to no progress and you then wish to re-enrol, a re-enrolment fee of 25% of the standard course fee will apply if requested within 3 months of initial cancellation. If re-enrolment is requested within 4 – 12 months of initial cancellation, 50% of the standard course fee will apply.
After completing this course it is strongly recommended that you go on to complete another security qualification in order to widen your employment opportunities. This may include:
Our Training Partners
This course is not currently available through our training partners.
The instructor was an absolutely amazing instructor. He had a wealth of knowledge and experience and delivered lectures with detail and a little humour which makes for a perfect learning environment..
Engaging. Everyone is part of the learning experience. I received support from everyone. The visual learning was easy to understand and acknowledge. Through their reassurance my motivation held strong throughout the course.