What Security Course Do I Need?

security courses

What Security Course Do I Need?

The security industry offers many different options for aspiring security professionals.

For those who don’t like being stagnant in one role for too long, the security industry offers pathways into multi-disciplinary roles that are likely to provide you the variety that you need.

So now that you’ve started considering security as a future career, where do you start?

  1. Become a licensed Security Officer
  2. Branch out into aviation or maritime security
  3. Gain a higher qualification and some further skill sets
  4. Add Bodyguard to your licence
  5. Add a new direction with investigations
  6. Move up to a supervisory role
  7. Dip your toes into the world of government sector roles


Entry Level Security Licence

To become a licensed Security Officer in all states and territories, you need to start with the CPP21218 Certificate II in Security Operations. This is the licensing standard and this is a must do course! It sets the foundations for all further pathways in the industry.

Airport Security

If you would prefer to only work as a Security Screening Officer in one of Australia’s airports or maritime ports, you can skip gaining your security licence. However, having a security licence and a transport security protection qualification will provide you with an advantage!

The course you need to complete to work as an Airport Security Officer is the AVI20118 Certificate II in Transport Security Protection (International). This is a legislated qualification by the Department of Home Affairs for this role.

Armed Security

Already licensed as a Security Officer and now want to learn more? The CPP31318 Certificate III in Security Operations and associated skill sets are for licensed individuals who wish to add specific functions to their licence.

Skill sets include:

Each of these skill sets come with their own licensing requirements too and open up even more options for employment in the security industry.


To work as a Bodyguard, you will need to study CPP31418 Certificate III in Close Protection Operations. This is a new qualification that replaces the previous bodyguard units that were included in the old CPP30411 Certificate III in Security Operations.

Private Investigator

You might want to do something completely different and become a Private Investigator, you will need the CPP30619 Certificate III in Investigative Services. Like the above bodyguard qualification, this course allows you to add a new function to your licence and therefore provides even more diverse employment opportunities.

While that covers all of the functions that you can add to a Security Licence and many different avenues for you to pursue, you don’t have to stop there.

Security Manager

If you are interested in more senior roles in the security sector, check out courses under Security Risk Management. These Certificate IV and Diploma level qualifications may have a licensing outcome in your state, but that doesn’t apply to all states. For example, the new CPP41519 Certificate IV in Security Risk Analysis does allow you to apply for a Class 2A licence in NSW.

These qualifications explore more in-depth security management processes with a focus on risk and managing people. New pre-requisite requirements now mean that you have to hold one of the Certificate IV’s before you can proceed to the Diploma level. Our team can help you determine what the right path for you is.

Government Security

Instead of going for a generalisd security management approach, if government operations is of interest to you then one of the government Certificate IV or Diploma courses might be the right path for further professional development.

For all government roles, check out the courses under Government where you can choose to focus either on security or investigations in the sector, depending on where your skills lie!

Cyber Security

Finally, we now have the 22334VIC Certificate IV in Cyber Security available for enrolments! This is a new addition to our scope of registration and is a very specialised field with heaps of job opportunities well into the future!

So, now that you know which course you need and what pathway to take, what’s your next move?

Attend a free information session at one of our offices or contact our team today.

Skip to content